1 John 4:7-12 “Gods Love and our identity”
1 John 4:10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
As humans we seek after love and acceptance within our lives and leadership. We seek to have our love bucket filled to the brim to find security and identity. We all long for unconditional love, acceptance, security and identity and as seen within these rich verses we can see the key foundation truth that comes from the love of God. When we truly comprehend the love of the father we can courageously know our worth and value is found and formed within the Love of God. In this we can then truly operate in the love of God to courageously lead a generation to the love of the father.
When we feel our love bucket is on empty we feel isolated, vulnerable, broken or alone. So the question that burns in the heart and soul is where do you go seeking Love and acceptance? To be courageous, it all starts with the love of the father within our lives. Knowing and believing that God loved us before we even loved him. Knowing that the love God has for us is not based on us first loving God, but that he LOVED us so much while we were still sinners, the love that he had for us was in the gift that he gave through His son. Through the death of his Son, Gods love is what bridged the gap. When we truly grasp the love of the father through the Lord Jesus Christ in our lives we can courageous live and lead in total obedience in the plan and purposes he has for us.
There is HOPE.. God always gives us hope… Hope to know that…YOU ARE DEEPLY LOVED!!! loved by the creator of this world who designed your perfectly. When we fill this love in our bucket we are filled to the brim and overflow with security, identity and courage. So lets look at these verses and the impact this has on our life and leadership.
1. Love so AMAZING : vs 9
- when the world shows no love // God showed his love among us
- When the world shows no hope // God sent his son into the world that we might live (hope) through him
- the love beyond human comprehension // AMAZING
2. Love in ACTION : vs 10
- love is only true when it is put into action, not just on empty words.
This is LOVE:
- Not that we loved God first
- But that he Loved us ( in action)
- sent his son as our atoning sacrifice for our sins
- He bridged the gap to our brokenness and dysfunctional
- The love that was the Ultimate ACTION plan and purpose for all time.
- Love in ACKNOWLEDGE
- Jesus as our Lord and savior ( Gods Love sacrifice)
- God lives in us ( Holy Spirit seals )
- We KNOW and RELY ( on the love God has for us)
Ephesians 3:16-19 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
- strengthened in Gods love
- Power through his spirit in your inner being
- Christ dwell in your hearts
- Rooted and established in love
- To grasp : how wide, long, deep, wide // the love of Christ
- This love fills your life and deepens your leadership
- God is love ( he loves you first in your broken, dysfunctional state)
- God sent the ultimate love gift ( in the person of Jesus Christ)
- Love made complete among us ( so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment)
- There is no fear in love ( perfect fear casts out fear)
- We love because he first loved us
- Courageous lives and leadership comes from the love of God.
AMAZING : Gods love is amazing // beyond this worlds comprehension
ACTION : love that was made into action to bridge the gap on our broken dysfunctional sin
ACKNOWLEDGE: we need to relieve the gift of salvation, accept , know and grasp the love
- Know that you are loved
- Your identity comes from this love
- You operate in leadership through the love of God
- You belong through the love
- Your HOPE is in this love
Application questions to journal with:
What do i make of all of this?
What do i feel God is saying to me?
What do i need to take from this?
What changes do i need to make?
How can i share this with my leadership team verbally and practically?